|Color:||Metallic Matte Carbon Gray|
Location: Barnett Harley-Davidson El Paso
ABS Anti-Lock Braking System Standard
As the “King of Ninjas,” the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle was in danger of being overshadowed last year by the introduction of the supercharged Ninja H2™ and Ninja H2™R hyperbikes. So in an effort to redress the balance and restore the king to its throne, Kawasaki has taken a number of steps to increase the appeal and ability of the most super bike of them all: the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle.
For the 2016 model year, a Special Edition will be introduced that incorporates Brembo brakes and stainless steel brake lines into its already high specification. It will also get a special paint finish and a new instrument panel, with the latter shared across the 2016 Ninja ZX-14R ABS range.
The popularity of the Ninja ZX-14R ABS supersport bike has never waned since its introduction. Its big displacement and big horsepower has brought big accolades, thanks largely to the muscularity of its 1,441cc inline-four. The bike is happy meandering two-up on a country road, yet is equally at home screaming down the drag strip.
The secret to this Ninja motorcycle’s broad appeal comes from embracing technologies like ABS brakes and traction control that add more usability for a wide range of riders and riding styles. And that appeal will receive an extra shot in the arm with the 2016 Ninja ZX-14R ABS SE motorcycle.
The new ZZR1400 Performance Sport represents an intoxicating blend of engineering, style and performance. Already King of Hypersports, this machine comes equipped with a bespoke Ã–hlins TTX rear shock absorber and Akrapovic lightweight titanium silencers plus wind cheating bubble screen.
Add serious Kawasaki attitude and you have a unique performance and handling package.
WITNESS THE PHENOMENON
The Ninja ZX-14R motorcycle’s ultra-powerful 1,441cc inline four-cylinder engine puts it at the top of its class. Advanced electronics, an innovative monocoque frame and stunning bodywork makes the Ninja ZX-14R ABS a sensation you have to see-and feel-to believe.
Note: The 2016 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS SE is called the ZZR1400 Performance Sport in Europe.
KEY FEATURES WHEN NEW
Brembo brakes for Special Edition model to provide powerful braking and great control
• Stainless steel brake and clutch lines for Special Edition model to provide improved lever feel
• LCD instrument display for all models
• Metallic Matte Carbon Gray paint for Special Edition model
• Powerful and flexible 1,441cc inline-four engine is the most powerful naturally aspirated motorcycle engine Kawasaki has ever produced
• Brake lever adjusted by Brembo to ensure there is no idle stroke in the brake lever
• Standard ABS braking helps increase rider confidence in slippery conditions
• KTRC traction control system addresses varying riding conditions via three different modes controlled by a switch on the left handlebar
• Back-torque-limiting slipper clutch assembly helps control chassis disturbance from rear-wheel torque effects while downshifting
• High performance exhaust system features large-diameter tapered head pipes, a catalyzer and an efficient muffler assembly for low noise and emissions
• Aluminum monocoque frame is narrow, strong and rigid for impressive sport riding performance that complements the engine’s power
• Aluminum swingarm assembly is longer than traditional designs and incorporates strengthening gussets to withstand the engine’s substantial torque
• Supersport bodywork embraces the visual cues of Kawasaki siblings, includes a rear seat cowl and provides efficient air management for improved rider and passenger comfort
• Ten-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight for better handling and maneuverability
• Balanced, adjustable suspension settings front and rear for a comfortable ride without sacrificing performance
• Flagship finish quality with hidden bodywork fasteners
1,441cc Four-cylinder Liquid-cooled DOHC Engine
• Long-stroke design, ported cylinder heads, lightweight forged pistons, and aggressive camshaft profiles provide more torque and power throughout the rev range than any other production sportbike
• Piston jet system sprays a continuous stream of cooling lubrication to the underside of each piston for cooler running temperatures, more consistent power output and excellent long-term durability
• Strong cam chain and tensioning system offers excellent high-RPM durability
• Thick 40mm crankshaft main journals contribute to long-term engine durability
• Surface and heat treatments allow the transmission gears to better harness the engine’s prodigious power output
• Chrome composite-plated aluminum cylinder bores are lightweight, durable, and effectively transfer heat away from the combustion chamber and piston for maximum durability at high power outputs
High-flow Exhaust System
• Header assembly has tapered-diameter pipes for optimal engine response and power output
• The internal construction of the dual mufflers minimizes the impact of noise and emissions regulations, while maintaining impressive top-end power
• Airflow directed into the exhaust by the large secondary air ports in the cylinder head and head cover, plus a third honeycomb catalyzer in the exhaust collector, help meet strict Euro IV emissions standards
Gear-driven Dual Engine Balancers
• Already in perfect primary balance, the Ninja ZX-14R engine design features dual secondary balancers that virtually eliminate unwanted vibrations for extremely smooth operation and reduced rider fatigue
Ram Air Induction
• Central ram air duct draws cooler, higher-pressure air from the face of the fairing and efficiently guides it through the large and efficient air cleaner and into the engine for maximum power output
Digital Fuel Injection
• DFI® throttle body assembly features individual 44mm throttle bodies fitted with an idle speed control and sub-throttle valves controlled by the 32-bit ECU. They provide precise response, smooth performance, automatic idle speed adjustment, and help the bike meet strict Euro III emissions requirements
• High performance intake tract porting optimizes flow characteristics
• Fuel injectors deliver lateral spray at a 20-degree angle to disperse the finely atomized (75-micron droplet size) fuel over a wide area
Dual-Mode Digital Ignition
• Rider selectable Full & Low power maps offer a choice between full power and approximately 75-percent power output to suit conditions
• Digital Timing Advance enhances low- and mid-range power
• Individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each of the four spark plugs independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder
• ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
• ECO mode is available. This switches the ECU maps to the most economical setting, allowing the rider to extend the range between fill-ups
KTRC Traction Control
• KTRC Kawasaki Traction Control system features three different selectable modes to suit rider preference and different riding conditions
• Modes are selected by a handy switch assembly on the left handlebar
• Modes are indicated on the LCD cockpit display
Back-Torque Limiting “Slipper” Clutch
• Back-torque limiting “slipper” clutch assembly helps control rear-wheel torque effects while downshifting to minimize wheel hop
Radial-pump hydraulic clutch master cylinder offers smooth and precise engagement and optimal feel at the lever
ABS Disc Brakes with Petal-type Rotors and Radial-mount Calipers
• ABS brakes offer excellent performance and enhanced confidence in adverse conditions
• Compact, lightweight ABS unit is highly effective without adding excessive weight
• Petal-type brake rotors provide better cooling and enhanced warp resistance than traditional discs
• Radial mounted four-piston front brake calipers offer greater rigidity than traditional caliper mounting to improve brake feel
• A separate brake pad is used for each piston. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming so they maintain a consistent brake feel longer
• Radial-pump front brake master cylinder provides excellent lever feel and feedback
Brembo Brakes for Special Edition model
• Powerful opposed four-piston Brembo cast monobloc front calipers have 30mm diameter pistons
• 310mm floating Brembo front rotors are cross-drilled to aid brake pad adhesion
• Front rotors are 5.5mm thick, an increase of 0.5mm over the standard rotors, and include a circumferential groove to aid heat dissipation by effective increasing the surface area.
• Brembo radial pump master cylinder and smoked plastic fluid reservoirs,
Stainless steel brake lines and clutch further improves lever feel and adds to the quality appearance
Monocoque Aluminum Frame
• Lightweight monocoque frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swingarm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid and very light
• Many of the frame’s cast aluminum sections – steering head and swingarm pivot areas – are produced via a die-casting process for weight savings
• Rigidly mounted engine is a stressed frame member, which increases the frame’s torsional rigidity and saves weight versus traditional designs
• Engine is positioned forward in the frame, with the long wheelbase and front/rear weight balance carefully designed to achieve high-speed stability and responsive handling
• Long swingarm design helps maximize forward drive and is gusseted to better cope with the engine’s healthy torque output
• Massive head pipe casting contributes to frame rigidity
• Frame houses the air box and air filter in a space-saving design that simplifies air cleaner maintenance
• Battery is also housed within the frame and is easily accessible through an aluminum frame cover
Comfortable Sporting Suspension
• Inverted and multi-adjustable 43mm cartridge-type fork provides excellent wheel control without sacrificing ride comfort
• Compression and rebound damping adjustment allows precise tuning of fork reactions
Fully adjustable bottom-link Uni-Trak® rear suspension is a compact design that offers premium control and feedback
• Linkage rates designed to allow linear suspension action and excellent wheel control
Bottom-link design helps create a lower center of gravity, which makes the motorcycle more nimble
Aggressive Supersport Bodywork
• Monocoque frame is positioned over the engine so the sleek fairing is uninterrupted by protruding frame spars, adding to the extremely long and low styling
• Standard rear-seat cowl adds aesthetic appeal
• Both the front and rear turn signals are integrated into the bodywork and have clear lenses for a modern appearance
• Quadruple projector beam headlights give the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle a distinctive look. The outer lights contain position lamps and high beams, while the low beams are located in the center lamps
• Lightweight Denso radiator with dual fans and high-density cores provides maximum cooling efficiency
• Dotted pattern on analog speedometer and tachometer are easy to read and looks more stylish
• Multi-function LCD digital display can be switched from black to white background to suit rider preference
• LCD screen includes odometer, two trip meters, fuel gauge, gear position indicator, clock, traction-control and power mode information
• LCD display is able to display the cruising range until approximately half a gallon remains, even after the fuel warning indicator is lit. This helps the rider estimate his distances better
• Programmable shift indicator lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal rider upshift
Controller Area Network (CAN) interface between the gauges uses fewer wires yet allows a greater volume of information, such as estimated fuel mileage, to be exchanged
Passenger Grab Handle made from aluminum with color-matched bodywork for perfect integration
• Deluxe Cover that is water-resistant and breathable for when the motorcycle is parked
Center Stand to help with maintenance and storage, it comes with all the mounting hardware to fit permanently
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
Just as the iconic 1984 Ninja 900 motorcycle boasted the most powerful production engine of its day, so the 2016 Kawasaki Ninja® ZX-14R ABS motorcycle continues that tradition of impressive power, while adding plenty of torque for relaxed cruising. The 1,441cc DOHC inline-four represents the pinnacle of supersport power and performance.
The character of the power delivery is as important as the peak numbers, so the surface-milled combustion chambers and polished intake ports help to spread the powerband as wide as possible.
The dual gear-driven counterbalance set-up has been optimized to work with the long-stroke crankshaft, providing the legendary smooth power delivery of the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle across the entire rev range.
The high-lift camshafts are operated by a high-performance cam chain and tensioner to operate reliably at high RPM, while the lightweight forged pistons are cooled by an oil jet that pumps lubricant to the underside of each piston for better cooling and increased performance. They also have extra strong alloy connecting rods with robust 40mm crankshaft main journals.
The fuel delivery is precisely metered by a Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system that offers automatic idle adjustment to reduce emissions. The intake system uses a ram-air effect to generate more power at high RPM, while the exhaust comprises a high-performance system with large-diameter tapered header pipes and large-volume mufflers, with an advanced catalyzer to minimize emissions.
The benefit is class-leading power everywhere across the rev range. The advantages are most profound in the mid- and high-RPM range, yet the 1.4-liter engine can also provide incredible acceleration from as little as 4,000rpm. This translates into the sort of thrust any rider can appreciate in a wide variety of situations.
Of course, every aspect of the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle has to be capable of running with its phenomenal powerplant, so the transmission gears have been both heat- and surface-treated to help ensure strength, smooth shifting and a long service life.
Finally, there is a back-torque-limiting “slipper” clutch: technology taken directly from the racetrack. It helps eliminate the wheel-hop and the torque effects of energetic downshifting while giving the rider even greater control.
POWER MODES & TRACTION CONTROL
The most important aspect of a high-performance motorcycle is the ease with which a rider can control it, and the 2016 Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle has a host of features to keep the rider in charge, many of which are developed in the competitive arena of Superbike racing.
The rider can choose to select two engine power levels by using the two-mode Hi/Low power selector switch. This gives the rider the opportunity to select either full power or reduce it to 75-percent to suit the prevailing conditions.
Furthermore, there is a three-mode Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC) system, where the first two modes are intended to maximize acceleration and are similar to the S-KTRC system found on the Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle. The third mode is tuned for low-traction (wet/slippery) conditions, similar to the Concours®14 ABS sport tourer. The KTRC system can also be turned off completely by the rider using the bar-mounted toggle/push switch, which also operates the Power Modes. KTRC activity can be monitored on the cockpit’s LCD info screen.
The 2016 Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle features a powerful and responsive anti-lock brake system (ABS). It is standard equipment on all models and provides additional rider confidence when road conditions change.
A motorcycle of this capability requires serious hardware, so the front brakes on the standard model utilize 310mm triple-petal-type dual discs with dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers. On the rear, it is equipped with a single 250mm petal-type disc and a two-piston caliper.
The new 2016 Ninja ZX-14R ABS Special Edition motorcycle is equipped with the latest Brembo braking hardware, similar to the supercharged Ninja H2 and H2R as well as the new 2016 Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle.
On the front, the system utilizes opposed four-piston cast monobloc calipers with four opposed 30mm pistons. They act upon a pair of 310mm floating Brembo rotors that are cross-drilled. The rotors are 5.5mm thick, an increase of 0.5mm over the standard rotors, and include a circumferential groove to aid heat dissipation by effective increasing the surface area.
Brembo also provides the radial pump master cylinder and fluid reservoir, which on the SE model is finished in a smoked plastic, with a matching clutch fluid reservoir. Each master cylinder is carefully calibrated by Brembo to eliminate idle stroke so the rider will get immediate, progressive braking response as soon as the lever is pulled. This system provides excellent feel for the rider to modulate the very powerful brakes.
As a final measure, stainless steel brake lines and clutch were fitted to the Special Edition model. This further improves lever feel and adds to the very high quality appearance of the motorcycle.
Kawasaki engineers designed the monocoque chassis to deliver a light-handling and maneuverable motorcycle. For real sport riding performance, the frame’s aluminum castings and forgings allow unique flex and rigidity characteristics, giving an ideal balance to exploit the world-class power and acceleration capabilities of the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle.
Front and rear suspension tuning helps maintain wheel control, ride comfort and maneuverability. Both the 43mm fully adjustable inverted front forks and multi-adjustable single rear shock offer excellent responses throughout a wide speed range, while the machined ten-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight to aid acceleration, handling and suspension action.
STYLING & ERGONOMICS
Of course, with this much top-shelf performance, you also have to look good. Dynamic styling has been a Kawasaki hallmark since the days of H1s, H2s and Z-1s, so it’s only fitting that the pinnacle of a long line of sportbikes looks the part. From tip-to-tail, the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle bodywork honors the imposing, angular and flowing shapes that have made recent Ninja models some of the most attractive sportbikes in existence.
The front is especially imposing, with a highly aggressive nose fitted with a unique quad-headlight assembly and a large ram-air duct to stuff cool atmosphere into the intake system. The non-traditional four-fin theme along the fairing’s sides has a pronounced 3D design, while great effort was expended to hide fasteners as much as possible. The bike’s tail section is especially well sculpted, with faired-in turn signals and a removable color-matched rear seat cowl – standard on all US models – boosting aesthetic performance.
The fairing package offers functional benefits as well as aesthetic ones. The seat, for instance, offers excellent thigh support and helps make it easy for vertically challenged riders to reach the ground.
INSTRUMENTS & CONTROLS
New for the 2016 model year is a new dashboard. It features a black dotted pattern on the speedometer and tachometer to give them a more stylish, high quality appearance.
The new LCD screen can be changed from a black to white. This allows the rider to select the view they prefer or one that might read better in the ambient conditions.
Using a multi-function switch on the left handlebar, the rider can toggle through the various system functions, easily scrolling through fuel consumption, remaining range, battery voltage, external temperature, traction control settings, power mode etc. Choosing and adjusting functions is just as easy, thanks to the ‘select’ button in the center of the toggle switch. There’s even an “ECO” indicator on the LCD screen that tells the rider when they are achieving maximum economy and fuel mileage.
The result of all this technology and features is a dominating open-class ride – a supremely smooth, powerful and refined sporting motorcycle that will gladly go anywhere there’s asphalt, and do it with an uncanny level of competence. Sunday morning rides? No worries. Two-up along the coast for the weekend? Easy. Commuting to and from work? Simple.
When the 2016 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle is this good at so many things, it’s difficult for a competitor’s bike to compete in the open-class category. And thanks to the powerful braking available on the Special Edition model, the Ninja ZX-14R ABS motorcycle is going to remain at the top of its class for many years to come.
SPECIFICATIONS WHEN NEW
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, inline-four
Bore x stroke: 84 x 65mm
Compression ratio: 12.3:1
Fuel injection: DFI® with four 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission: Six-speed with positive neutral finder
Final drive: Sealed chain
Rake / trail: 23-degrees / 3.7″
Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
Rear tire: 190/50 ZR17
Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm inverted cartridge fork with adjustable preload,
18-way compression and 15-way rebound damping adjustment / 4.6″
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-link Uni-Trak® and gas-charged shock with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments, adjustable ride height / 4.9″
Front brakes: Dual floating 310mm Brembo rotors with dual radial-mounted four-piston Brembo monobloc aluminum calipers, ABS
Rear brakes: Single 250mm Brembo rotor with twin-piston caliper, ABS
Overall length: 85.4″
Overall width: 30.3″
Overall height: 46.1″
Ground clearance: 4.9″
Seat height: 31.5″
Curb weight**: 593.1 lb
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gallons
Color: Metallic Matte Carbon Gray
The paragraph descriptions for the pre-owned bikes are generic, what the factory used when the bikes were new so they might not be precise. The bike may have been modified. Take them with a grain of salt. Same with the specifications, those are stating how the bike was spec’d stock, when new, not necessarily as it is at this very moment. Our salespeople will be glad to answer any detailed questions should anything in the generic descriptions be confusing. Also, there are over 30,000 prices and loads of specifications on this website, we do not warrant that is entirely error free. Thanks, - Barnett Harley-Davidson